Saturday, October 31, 2015

All The Light We Cannot See Nail Art

Hey there!  After skipping the nail art for last month's The Polished Bookworms book of the month (Amy Poehler's Yes Please), I'm back this month with a mani inspired by Anthony Doerr's All The Light We Cannot See.  The book is set in France and Germany during WWII and is pretty neat as the point of view flips between two characters - a young German boy named Werner who has a gift for radio mechanics and a young blind girl in France named Marie-Laure with a gift for science.  The book won a Pulitzer Prize for Fiction this year so I really wanted to love it but, while I did like it, it didn't hold my attention like some books do.  It took me quite awhile to finish it but I definitely don't regret the time I put into it.



For these nails I started with two coats of Cupcake Polish Bluebell Girls.  The majesty of the ocean is mentioned a couple of times in the book so I wanted to use beautiful polish for the base.


I first stamped with a wavy pattern from MoYou London Sailor -07 with Mundo de Unas Blue.  I thought these could represent the ocean waves AND the radio waves that Werner works with.


Then I made decals with the same stamping plate and Mundo de Unas Black, filled with Mundo de Unas Taupe, Caramel and Chocolate.  I did snails because Marie-Laure collects and cares for snails, even when it's dangerous to do so.  She's a true scientist at heart.


Lastly I matted it with OPI matte top coat (mostly so that I could actually see the waves stamped).  


What do you think?  If you've read the book, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!

'Til next time...



No comments: